In my societal commentary,”Orion … A Feline Metaphor for Hybrid Governance,” I proposed a hybrid type of governance as alternative to our current political malaise and civic ineptitude. At the center of this hybrid is the Community 3.0 Front Porch civic network. A Front Porch can be the local pub down the street or the coffee-house you get your morning the espresso from. It can be Bill’s garage where everyone hangs out to watch Sunday football games. It can even be your kitchen table. What happens on the Front Porch is what matters … not what it looks like or where it is.
The Front Porch’s purpose is to identify Solutions, whether they be in response of needs or opportunities. These Solutions are designed to help your community pick up the slack and mend its societal safety net. They can range from organizing a cleanup effort, to fixing a playground, to even spearheading a high school mentoring or apprentice program.
To get a more full understanding of the Community 3.0 Front Porch concept, please read the post, “Front Porches.“
As a part of the Community 3.0 platform we’ve put together a roster of several examples of what can come of collaborations in your community’s Front Porches. Imagine, take direct action … and this could be your community.
One of these examples is “Get Out of the House!”
Adult Activity Leagues (physical and mental)
We see the statistics almost weekly. America is fat! According to 2013 numbers over 35% American adults are considered obese. This is the 2nd highest rate for large countries in the world, exceeded only by Mexico. And it’s probably even higher today. The reasons for this vary according to who you talk to. One culprit that frequently comes up is our increasingly sedentary lifestyles. American doesn’t move around anymore. And I’m not talking about going to gym or running a 5K. I’m talking about just moving around.
People are social animals, they’re going to socialize somewhere ~ where and how they do will determine in a large part how healthy they are (mental and physically). For better or worse, their primary source of social interaction is sitting in a chair in front of a computer on Facebook or Twitter. “Real life” interactions are becoming less and less. And with this comes the lack of movement needed to interact in-person … the walks, the bowling nights, the window shopping.
“Get Out of the House” is Community 3.0‘s attempt to combat this sedentary lifestyle and get your community moving around. And best of all, the program can accommodate any age. Through “Get Out of the House,” Community 3.0 and its network of Merchants will organize leagues and activities that get people “up and out of the house” and meeting in beneficial healthy places. Instead of sitting at your computer updating your status, or when you do get out, meeting your friends at the bar – meet them on the software field, or the basketball court or even at a chessboard. Each participating Merchant will sponsor teams, recruit talent from their Member clientele and battle for bragging rights.
“Get Out of the House” also give you an opportunity break outside your network of close friends and co-workers and meet other people in the community. Whether it’s for new social or business connections, or possibly even the genesis of a new venture, Community 3.0 gets you out of house extending your circle of contacts.
Below are just a few of the options that Community 3.0 can assist you with.
- Book clubs
- Spoken word and poetry readings
- Community art studio
- Nature walks and organized hikes
- Bike rides
- Mentoring pools
We ask you to be part our efforts to build the minds and bodies of those around us. The stronger, mentally and physically, we all are individually – the stronger our communities will be collectively. Help us create a foundation for which our communities can build on in their quest for self-sustainability and well-being. No matter what role you wish to play; whether it’s directly in your community or you’re someone who wants to lend your experience and expertise to us in devising network-wide programs … we welcome you.
To get a more full understanding of the Community 3.0 Front Porch concept, please read the post, “Front Porches.” Also please follow us on Twitter at @Community3_0, and check out the main 3.0 web site.
And when you’re ready – please comment below, tell us who you are and how you think you can better the 3.0 community.
Community 3.0 Solutions:
- “Label the Town” ~ Community “places of interest” labeling
- “Pretty Pictures on the Wall” ~ Amateur art showings
- “Is it Art” ~ Vacant area art projects: art, music, theatrical
- “Showing our Stuff” ~ Street fairs
- “Recess Time” ~ Playground restoration
- “Help Me … I’m Dirty” ~ Public and private space clean-up
- “Stop and Smell the Roses” ~ Public and private space beautification
- “Fixing the Neighborhood” ~ Neighborhood renewal and repair
- “Hey … We Need Some Help Over Here” ~ “On-demand” help services
- “Apollo 13 … Please Come Home” ~ “Resource Maximization”
- “Pop-up Community” ~ Vacant building resource maximization
- “I’m Not Alone Anymore” ~ Elderly / shut-in well-being assistance
- “Get Out of the House” ~ Adult athletic and intelligence leagues
- “Love Comes From the Ground” ~ Gardens and farmers markets
- “Play Ball” ~ Youth sports and intelligence leagues
- “Getting Up to Speed” ~ Student tutoring
- “This is What I Think … ” ~ Youth writing project
- “Making the Transition” ~ Apprenticeships and post school transition
- “Leadership 2020 Anti-Congress” ~ Student assembly